Search This Blog for Stuff

Sunday, January 29, 2023

PB Etiquette

Hey All,

Here is quick post.  The video linked below talks about doing right at the PB field.

I've written about most of these, but it's not wrong to hear it from a third party (or is that second party?).

I've dropped in the time stamps of the various chapters.  

I'm guilty of a bit of this.  I'll apologize now.   

Randy: 27:47

Bryan: 29:07

Rich: 7:23, 59:20 (And I dispute this!)

A Bunch: 25:11

Larry, Et al., 37:44

Video:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps5x85hd5yI

Timestamps:

3:11 - Don't walk behind courts with a game active 7:23 - Don't give unsolicited advice 11:01 - Don't force people to stack 15:19 - Always bring a ball 18:46 - Don't correct someone's illegal serve 25:11 - Say the score loudly 27:47 - wait until people are ready before your serve 29:07 - Stop poaching 32:53 - Don't be sarcastic (or have an attitude) 37:44 - Don't lob seniors 40:15 - Stop play when a ball comes onto your court 42:55 - Don't keep the ball away from the better player 50:41 - Give the benefit of the doubt for line calls 54:00 - Don't throw a tantrum 55:11 - Paddle reps, stop being a shill 59:20 - There is no "right" way to play Pickleball 1:01:01 - Be a pleasant person

10 comments:

  1. I would dispute the statement to not LOB seniors. I am 74 and I am happy to chase a lob and try to get it back which I do often. I view it as a challenge. Maybe I will feel different when I'm 84. Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel it's inelegant, but that's just me. :-), Rich

      Delete
    2. Susan Dougan, a Santa Cruz player hit her head and died last year after a fall on the pickleball court. A lob + retreating backwards + a senior player = inclreased likelihood of a backwards fall. If you know the person and have agreed ahead of time that lobs are ok, then go ahead. Otherwise, don't.

      Delete
    3. I'm 68 go ahead and lob me.

      Delete
  2. Difficult for me to watch this video even though the information is excellent. Too much RAMBLING, chit-chat and side stories. I prefer the list of all of them which you gave us in your blog. Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to take that up with them! Thanks for the comments. Rich

      Delete
  3. Any suggestions: In my humble (or maybe not) opinion, some people intentionally serve about a half second too soon. Seems rude to ssy anything or at least whiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To expand on that, for example sometimes if I feel the server is either serving too quickly or other times I need a couple seconds, I'll walk with my back to the server. Again today, someone I thought served too quickly, served the very instant I turned around. Is it ok to buy a couple 3 seconds?

      Delete
    2. I think the proper thing to do if the serve comes early, is to just stop the ball, hit it back and tell the server to try it again as you were not ready. I can't imagine that anyone would object to that. - Rich

      Delete
    3. That's clear and easy. I feel like every now and then it's a part of their game to try to win points. Unless it's egregious I generally just try to return it and if it doesn't work, lose the point. If their friends, I will sometimes say something.

      Delete