Search This Blog for Stuff

Sunday, October 24, 2021

The Master Helps Again

 "Master, I bring you tea," said the acolyte.

"Thank you," said the master.

"Master, I have a problem."

"Yes, usually you do.  You are young and most things are problems for the young.  With experience, one improves.  Why this reminds me of a time when I was young..." said the master.

The acolyte interrupts.  He has heard these stories before and while they make for an interesting hour, he has more pressing needs.  "Yes, master, I do recall it too.  But I have been getting strange stares from my partners and strange questions too."

"Ah," said the master, "What questions are those?"

"One of my partners asked me how long it takes me to get to the kitchen line."

"And what did you tell him?"

"I said that I didn't know."

"And did he reply to that?"

"Yes, he said, 'why don't you run up to it a couple of times and find out.'"

The master allowed himself a small chuckle.  "Yes, a typical beginner error.  Grasshopper, is it easier to score points or defend against them?"

"Defend, I guess.  It can be a challenge to score."

"That is correct.  And why is this a universal pickleball truth?"

"Well, defenders usually can reach the kitchen earlier than the serving side."

"Well said grasshopper.  But to do that you must get to the kitchen line.  Do you always seek the kitchen line?"

"I do, but sometimes I cannot get there quickly.  I return the serve and it comes back before I can get to the line."

"Yes, there are three common problems with that.  You stand too close to the baseline and lend the deep serve additional menace, or you admire your return and stand wreathed in pride loosing time, or you see your return might be long and you stand in angst."

"Hmm, I can see that master.  Pride and fear and setup lead to dismal results."

"Yes.  Be prepared for a deep serve.  Strike your return with righteous force, believe in your return and stride, neh, leap forward to do battle."

"Is that all master?"

"One more pickleball pro tip, grasshopper.  If you start deep in your court to return the serve, then as you move forward to hit it, run through the shot and use that speed to arrive at the kitchen line.  You will easily get there and setup before the ball comes back.  Very strong position, very early preparation, very happy partner."

"Thank you master.  I will try that."

"Do not try, do or do not. ...Er, the tea has cooled down, would you please fetch the master another cup?"

5 comments:

  1. I have been guilty of all of those reasons for being slow to get up to the kitchen line. Probably the most has been admiring then admiring my serve which is a side spin that takes the returner out of bounds and as I'm chuckling to myself, he or she makes an awesome return which I
    then proceed to flub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it takes concentration and imagination to do anything well, IMHO. Always be ready for the return!

      Delete
  2. I will focus on the “return with righteous force”. No matter where the ball goes, if it’s hit with “righteous force” is gonna be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The become one with the hit, is the goal of all zen players.

    ReplyDelete