Search This Blog for Stuff

Friday, December 31, 2021

Stuff for the New Year

 While compiling and editing the prior posts and creating the "book," I realized that there are no grammar NAZIs who play pickleball, or you would have pointed out a bunch of errors! 

I've finished and have passed the manuscript over to my mother, who being a retired English teacher, is sharpening her red pencil as I type.  Not to worry, she is an easy grader and thinks her son always deserves an A.  

The "Book of Pickleball" or "Pickleball Thoughts 2021," as I am calling it is done.  The impetus for this effort was a loyal reader who would print out posts that she found interesting.  I thought having a single document might be of interest to a few of you.  Keep it on your phone for handy reference!  I was able to open it on my phone with several apps.  Kindle seemed to be unhappy, but an ebook reader would do it.

But we are not here for a status report.  I am thinking of what the 2022 blog direction might be.  I think the game has been pretty well covered in the posts and if I were put a red pencil to it, I would strike whole posts as being redundant.  Certainly if I were to be writing an instructional book, it would be shorter and less repetitive.  

There are a few more topics that I've thought about, but not posted about yet.  I'd like to talk about ball speed and the value of the "change up."  And then there are 11 draft posts in various states of construction.  But not a lot that needs to be said.  I should probably spend my time drilling than writing... 

What I think would be of use to new players is a more comprehensive document that lays out the skills and practices that are needed to move to the intermediate level and beyond.  Certainly I would have liked to have that document a couple of years ago.  

I have a draft post about the skills you need to play at various skill levels.  Might make a road map to advance up the levels.  Of course that assumes that you want to advance up the levels.  I see groups that play together at a certain skill level and they seem happy, though technical skills are not highly developed.  People seem to find a level and settle in.  Learning is a tough road to hitchhike along.  Lots of days when it rains and times when you can't seem to get down the road, or even stop from sliding backwards.  

The manual for pickleball improvement (MfPBI) need only be written once, so the number of posts to the blog would dwindle down to the esoteric new stuff that I find interesting.  In reality a player on the rise might only need the MtPBI and some practice with strokes to play well and the other stuff would only be interesting to a few theoretical minded fellow travelers.

There is also a real possibility that I'll burn out of interest at some point.  I've given up golf for the moment, but there are golf things I want to get back to, so that may intrude again.  There is a golf blog, it's been ignored for a couple of years, and there is a lot of stuff not pertaining to golf, but if you are interested there are 300+ posts, its address is: https://mrhumegolfjourney.blogspot.com/

The current plan is to mine the 11 draft posts for topics, write at least a couple more on various topics and I think I want to write that pamphlet for beginners.  If I do it, I'll want to add some diagrams to explain movements and various topics, so it will be a fancier product.

That's the current plan for 2022.  It's been a lot of fun doing the blog and the comments and thanks from the readers and Scott's contributions are very welcome and I thank you all for those.  PB is a great game on a lot of levels, I hope I've provided the odd glimpse into different ways to think about it.

Ok, I'm signing off for 2021.  Happy New Year all.  In re pickleball, it's been a grand year and I've enjoyed every game and every player.  I've learned from wins and loses and every partner and opponent.  Thank you all for that.  I've enjoyed all the conversations about PB and its esoteric details.  One more thanks to Scott for sharing his experiences and thoughts.  I hope to incorporate more of his wisdom in my own game.

Finally, a toast to the next year and hopes for a better year than last! 

2 comments:

  1. Appreciate your hard work over the past year and enjoyed our games - hopefully more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments and wishes! I look forward to many more contests as well. I think I have a lot to learn from you! :-)

      Delete