Search This Blog for Stuff

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

X Factor Part II

 While resting the back after a busy morning of PB, or maybe it was the acorns in the driveway that needed sweeping?  Doesn't matter, I ran across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFZ5JWm_hw

From the In2Pickle channel.  They have some pretty good stuff.  Ah, I can quibble in re style, but we are here for improvement!

In this video Tony talks about the X factor.  I think this is important and valid.  Basically, the person to whom the ball is heading should take the shot.  Don't reach in (too much), let your partner do her thing.  

Tony mentions three reasons why poaching on your partner at the baseline is a bad idea.  It tends to open a court, pinches the partner who should have taken the ball, and makes for a more difficult shot as reaching for a shot can make the shot more difficult.

Tony mentions some exceptions to this, so watch the video.  

What I wanted to discuss is when all the players are at the net.  Does the X factor still apply?  Tony says yes, and I think I agree with him.  Basically let the ball go to the partner whose in line to hit it, don't reach in to try and hit a winner unless the ball is really high and close enough to avoid too much reaching.

In my own play, I tend to reach in too much and take balls from my partners.  Well, all that stops now!  Partner, you are on your own to hit the ball heading for you.

I have recognized this lately as a problem.  I move towards partner's side too much and when partner takes it, as he/she should, I'm out of position and trying to regain footing and position.

The final point is that use of the X factor will resolve almost all problems of who hits the ball.  If you like to call the shots, that's fine, but just adhering to the X factor will remove almost all ambiguity.


No comments:

Post a Comment