Search This Blog for Stuff

Friday, June 3, 2022

They are different from you and me.

 Start with a quote from the Great Gatsby, that can't lose...

I've been watching Major League Pickleball, which has been fun.  They are using a modified rally scoring system.  The games move along pretty well and there is a lot of variety in the teams, people are playing whom I've never seen before.

But what I noticed in the play is that there is a huge difference in what they do compared to us rec players.  One thing leaps out and that is moving the feet.

When I'm having a good day of play, I find that I am all over the court, moving well, I get to a lot of shots, I have time to hit the ball.  This looks like it's true for the pros too.  But what they do is move their feet only when they are not hitting the ball.  Move, then hit, then move some more...

And what do we do?  We move too late and end up running through the shots.  Ah, we can get away with it on occasion, but the speed of the running makes distance calibration harder, so long and out balls are more frequent.  This happens quite often with a third shot as a lot of us will move up a bit after the serve, then backpedal furiously to return a deep return.  Or we are surprised by a soft second shot and have to sprint to get to it.  That rarely leaves time to stop.

Watch the pros and see the stability they have for every shot.  Dance, stop, then hit.  They do it for ground strokes and dinks a like.

No comments:

Post a Comment