Search This Blog for Stuff

Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Pickleball Doctor saves Bob

"Do you know why you are here?" asked Dr. Fixemup?

"I was told that I had to come in," said Bob, eager pickleball player.

"Yes, well sometimes it's difficult for us to realize that we need help.  Your regular partners petitioned the pickleball court to have you come in."

"Can I leave at any time?"

"Let's not worry about that now, let's see if we can make some progress.  We are here to help you."

"Well, ok, I guess.  Though I don't know that I have any problems..."

"The reports I have read seem to suggest there are some rough edges, which we call 'areas of improvement.'  Shall we get started?"

"Ok," Bob said, in a tone that suggested he was tired of the whole thing already, would much rather be playing, and also had a touch of surrender in it.  Clearly the first steps towards healing and noted by the good doctor.

"Let's start with net play, Bob.  Your partners hint that you are not comfortable with dinking.  How would you respond to that 'suggestion'?"

"Hey, I dink.  It's not as fun as banging an overhead, but I do it."

"Bob, we are not here to judge, but to understand.  How many dinks in a row would you say is a healthy number?"

"Maybe one or two?  It's not really important how many, is it?"

"Well, Bob, there is a difference of opinion on that in the literature.  How would you feel if your partner only dinked and never sped the ball up?"

"That's just wrong!  You want to hit the ball and win the point."

"Bob, we don't say right or wrong here.  We just present alternatives for life skills.  You mentioned that you don't dink a lot, how does that make your partners feel?"

"I never thought of their feelings, I was just trying to win the point.  But maybe they would be unhappy if a speed up or aggressive shot went out?"

"Why, Bob, do your partners play pickleball, do you think?"

"To win, Right?"

"Perhaps, Bob, but can you think of other reasons?"

"Some seem to be more than interested in talking, than playing.  What's that all about, Doc?"

"Again, we don't judge here, Bob.  Many reasons are valid and can be incorporated in balanced life outlook.  Social, physical, mental reasons are all valid.  Are you happy to dink say, five times in a row?"

"I guess that's ok.  Am I fine with it?  Nah, that's poor play I think.  In just a few shots, there are opportunities for aggression."

"Is aggression a good way to go through life, Bob?  Could you miss opportunities when being aggressive?"

"Hmm, well, if the ball I speed up is not quite high enough, I could end the point early and not in my favor.  It's a skill like any other...  I owe it to my partners to play the best game I can."

"What should the play be if your partner and you disagree on what play style is the better?  Have you talked to your partners about this?"

"No, we drill and play, there is not much talking."

"What kind of drills do you do?"

"Mostly dinking, I guess.  I don't really know, I kind of go along with what my partners want to do."

"If they want to do dink drills, maybe they are trying to tell you something?"

"What?  No, it's just a drill."

"Is it Bob?  Maybe it's an attempt to bring you over to a more gentle style?"

"Gosh, Doc.  I don't know.  Sure dinking is low key compared to hitting the ball.  I guess my partners like it.  Maybe.  I like my partners.  I could try dinking more.  Or maybe hitting some lobs?  I like to lob."

"Bob, our time is about up here.   I'd like you to think about your style of play and what your partners might like to see from you."

"Are we done, doctor?"

"No, Bob, I've scheduled you for weekly sessions for the rest of the season.  Your comment about liking lobs, will require some deep therapy.  We'll have to get you on the couch next time and see what we can resolve.  There is no shame in getting help.

"Now, to improve, I suggest that you try to dink at least three times in all points.  Hopefully consecutively.  Try to be soft.  Points can be won by being gentle."

"Thank you Doc.  I'll give it a try.  I didn't realize how I was stressing my partners."

The doctor noted signs of improvement is his notepad.

Bob came in for weekly sessions for the rest of the year.  He learned to like to dink and drop.  His speed ups dwindled until he became known for never hitting a hard ball.  His partners were not happy about that.  They seemed to have destroyed the vibrant side of Bob.  But that is another session in the Bob Saga.

---
Doctor's Note: This is a fictionalized case study from my best selling book, "Pickleball Therapy and the Right Minded Player," and it does not represent any individual player.  However the play and therapy techniques are quite real and can be safely applied to the general public.  Good play and mental health.  -- Dr. Fixemup.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment