Search This Blog for Stuff

Monday, June 19, 2023

Dinking Part 5

 I've discussed the way that pros dink and I've taught the beginners a couple of times and have noticed things recently that bear some discussion.

While watching the men's doubles at the recent Texas Open tournament, I finally noticed that all the good dinks land in the kitchen and usually well into the kitchen.  The idea of at the feet or at the NVZ line are usually the outer boundaries of what they do.

And why is that?  A dink that is close to the net is not easily sped up.  Also the opponent has to lift that dink to get it over the net.  If they lift too high, then a speed up occurs.  And a really short shot can't be vollied.

The games I played today had very few banging points, they were almost all dinking battles.  I like these kind of points from an aesthetics point of view and I find them more funner than fire fights at the net.  Some of the points were quite complex with resets and angled shots and some speed ups.  The points were longer and more thoughtful, if you would allow me that bit of anthropormising.

I saw a number of times where dinks and drops could not be returned when the more driven shots were returned.  There is nothing weak or soft about a good drop.

We are down in Cambria for a week and we stopped by the PB area here.  Six nice courts with fencing for every court.  $3 to play if you are not a member of the club.

The play was at a very high level.  Lots of banging and only a little dinking.  How sad...  There was a gal there who looked like Whitney, served with a bent elbow like Puneet and hit the ball harder than Jimmy.  They were playing mixed and won the two games we watched easily.  Third shot drops, you might ask.  Nope, they liked to hit the ball hard with lots of top spin.  Everyone.  Perhaps it's something in the water?  

I'm doing this on my phone and many years a go I tried to add pictures to a bog post on the phone and it just crashed the app.  I'll try it again.





Well that seemed to work!  Here are some shots of the play area.  In the last photo notice the sleeve for balls that is on every court.  I think the club  provides balls and a couple of balls stay with every court.

I'm taking some time off from playing, trying to settle down a forearm injury from a couple of weeks ago.  I found some hand weights and I've been doing exercises to strengthen the forearm.  We shall see.



4 comments:

  1. “Looks like Whitney, Serves like Puneet, hits harder than Jimmy”, is this some kind of Frankensteined player designed for tournaments? If you add in “dinks like Lori Y.” Y is might have something impressive …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really didn't dink! It was just hit and then hit some more. There were a few points with a dink or two, but as soon as anything could be sped up, it was. Rich

      Delete
  2. So did you play in Cambria? That’s probably the best way to get to know the culture is seeing the how they treat visiting players, and how long it takes to integrate yourself into the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played yet. I'm still having wrist/arm pain and the last thing I need is a banging game. They have a sitting area with some sun shade and a 10 by 10 shed for supplies all on a pad. It was nice and there were a few plastic chairs about that people could move around. I was sitting at a picnic table and could watch a court easily. The facility was behind a retired school and might have been something else before being converted to PB. Maybe a basketball court or something. 6 courts and they were all full with only one or two groups waiting to play. This was Saturday morning, I think. We went by about 1 pm and the courts were empty. The club is reported to have 100 members or so. I'm curious as to what they charge and what they provide. I'll probably be back there before we leave the area. Rich

      Delete