Search This Blog for Stuff

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Wrist Stiffness During a Shot

 I watched a YouTube video on dinking and how specifically to do the backhand dink.  I'm aways open to another view on technique and took a look.


The recipe was to lock the wrist joint and then move your arm in a horizontal motion with the paddle going toward the target.

If you want to produce top spin, then you move the arm more vertically.

They didn't mention back spin, we can assume that that motion will be more vertically, but starting from a high point and swinging downward.

I have no problem with the advise in this video and agree with all of it.  What I found useful was the idea of locking the wrist.  This is not news per se, but these things are always useful to think about because as recreational players, a bit of reminders of good practice are useful.  It's easy to fall into bad habits.  And things that work at one skill level may not work at another.

As some of you know, I fighting a lot of wrist and arm pain.  I thought that locking my wrist a bit more might help.  So today I warmed up dinking with a firm wrist and found it fundamentally useful with nice solid, controlled strikes.

Then as I was moving back from the kitchen line, I kept the stiff wrist as an experiment.  I found that worked pretty well too.  

Rackquet ballers like to flick the wrist for most shots.  There are times when this is perfect for PB, but other times when it's wrong or makes a short more difficult, for example dinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment