Search This Blog for Stuff

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

How to be a Sought After Partner

 One of the reasons the better players like to play with each other is that a good partner requires a lot less thinking and thus makes for an easier game.

What are the things that are good as a partner?  Well, there are not too many actually.

Number one, get your serves in.  No need for speed or accuracy, just in.  It's a small thing, but critical.  

Number two, never step into the court after you have hit the serve.  You can get away with this against soft players or a strong tail wind, but you are going to be running backwards a lot of time in a stronger game.  If you have to run backwards, it's hard to watch as a partner and it's very difficult to then hit the third short off the back foot.

Number three, always follow your service return with a run up to the kitchen line.  Number three point five, when you come to the kitchen line, run towards the ball you just hit.  Note that your running direction is rarely straight forward, but either towards your side line or to the middle of the court.

Number four, someone on your side has to cover middle shots always.  Depending from where the opponents hit the ball, you and/or your partner must be shifting to the middle.  For example, if I return a serve and hit is directly across the net to my opponent, I will run straight towards that opponent and I'll cover my sideline.  My partner will shift to cover a cross court / middle shot.

Second case, I return cross court to the server, then I run to the middle of the court and my partner shifts to cover his sideline.  

Case three, I return to the middle -- which I will do 80% of the time -- then both my partner and I will be at the kitchen line and close enough to each other to be able to get both paddles on a middle ball.  I've played a number of games with Angel, our local pro, and I found it interesting how closely he and I stayed to each other while playing.  We could probably touch paddles at all times.  Double middle coverage is a wonderful thing...

The astute reader will notice that in all of these cases, about 20% of the court is not covered.  (We will ignore lobs, as they are borderline illegal and not found in a serious game (kidding).)  That lack of coverage is acceptable as the uncovered area is at an angle to the hitter, and thus hard shots will go out and softer shots allow time for you to move to return it.  It is the middle coverage that is most frequently needed.


Those are the things that make you an easy player to partner.  And what makes this easy?  Well, if I'm your partner, I know where you are all the time and I know what shots you can return.  It makes it easy to know what balls I have to hit and which ones are yours.  I don't have to stretch in front of you to hit a shot.  

Number 5, this is optional in a friendly game, but required otherwise...  If I am returning the serve, you are at the net.  It is your responsibility to intercept all center shots, i.e., poach aggressively.  Poaching is fun and this is not onerous duty, but it's vital in a tough game.  

Number Six, you will notice that there has been no requirement to hit hard shots, or great slams, or inside out twisty slice shots or anything fancy.  Hitting the ball hard is not required nor needed.  Accuracy and control and just keeping the point going is what is highly prized.  Also, personally, I will view your game more respectfully the more you dink and are strategic, rather than trying to win the point with a huge shot.  Huge shots hit the net and the backstop and occasionally the opponents, none of which is a good thing.

Good luck in the tournament all!

6 comments:

  1. Those are all excellent points. The only thing I’d add is to make sure to stay behind the baseline when waiting for the return of serve. Easier to come in than trying to return moving backwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like this and consider it vital too. Thanks, Rich

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing all these informative points . Pia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding always protecting the middle, I find a lot of times the "wrong" player taking the shot. I've been both the offender and the offended. "Wrong" being the player with the least effective shot. For me, contrary to a lot of opinions, the forehand is not always the best shot although it often or mostly is. Getting the lesser shot especially if it's very weak
    exposes your team to the counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, a good point... It's probably beyond the level at which the blog is aimed. Let me toss out a couple of parameters that could be applied. I think the crisscross concept plays in a lot of at KL scenarios (the player to whom the ball is going, takes the shot) -- and you really don't want to stretch in front of a partner, so it happens that one player will be very active and one player will be looking for a poaching chance. I also think it's more effective and safer to block the center shot rather than to try and hit it hard. So even if a player doesn't have a strong shot, a block should be doable. Finally, it's the concept that I want to stress and that is that on every ball, someone should be actively covering the center. Thanks for the comment. Rich

      Delete