Search This Blog for Stuff

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Miscellaneous Stuff

 I had a nice series of games today.  The pace of play and styles and general happiness of all the contestants was very nice.  The games were good, competitive, and close.  Lots of good points, with some scrambling and dinking -- all fun.

-----

I mentioned in a past post that I have a new paddle.  Having a new paddle that differs in playing characteristics from the priors, might suggest that different shots ought to be considered.  For example, take a new paddle that provides more spin.  If you hit a ball the same way as the old paddle you will get more spin.  But what might be more important is to explore what you can do with more spin.  It will open up side angles for example, and if you hit a top spin serve, as you probably do, it's hard not to, you can hit that serve harder.  Also with the promise of more spin, it might be a good idea to work on spin production technique, to take advantage of what the new paddle provides.  Basically a new paddle might require/allow you to change your game in a fundamental way.  

If you've ever been fitted for golf clubs, they match the clubs to your swing.  Which begs the question of whether you need new clubs, or a new swing, or, of course, both; the order of lessons and fitting is a touch important...  

Paddles parameters are power and spin.  If you have a non-spinny paddle, then trying to have a spinny game is probably not the best choice for a play style.  And buying a spinny paddle, then not spinning the ball, makes little sense too.  I seem to be advocating that you choose or change your style based on your equipment.

One more case, you are happy with a control game and don't want to do anything differently, then look for a control paddle that will augment your current skills.  But even in that, a control paddle is by definition not very powerful, so you might still find that you can hit the ball harder and keep it in, and may even have to hit the ball harder to get your former shot.  

I've come a full circle here.  Every paddle will require some recalibration to get back to your prior game.  But every new paddle will allow you to change your style, hopefully to become more efficient or more sophisticated in your play, i.e., to move past your prior play level.

And if you are not willing or eager to change the way you play, you might be very careful about getting a new paddle.  

When I came into the sport, I went through a bunch of paddles before I found one that felt differently than any other.  Coming from table tennis, I've got some very spinny shots and they are comfortable for me.  The paddles I've bought since have always provided more spin and a larger sweet spot than the prior ones.  Those characteristics also seem to provide a soft feel to a strike.  That's also very comfortable to me.  I didn't know starting out what my style would be.  Any new player ought to play a while, find out the shots he likes to hit, and choose the first "good" paddle to enhance the game style you want to play.

Finally, in re paddles, lead tape will dramatically change the way a paddle feels.  Tape is cheap, found at any golf shop.  Tape the end of the paddle for more power and more towards the grip for stability and a lower sweet spot.  I tend to tape the bottom third of the paddle.  I cover the lead tape with plastic electricians' tape to help keep it in place and as a barrier as lead is a bit toxic.

---

I'm watching a bunch of the Desert Ridge PB Tournament this weekend.  I'm watching it with the sound turned off.  I like to hear the sound of the hits, but I cannot stand the announcers for the most part.  I have the same problem with golf announcers.  The announcers are great at telling you what you just saw.  Rarely do they provide any content.  For example, the referee says, "8-2-2." and the announcer says, "It's 8-2-2!"  Then they add some crap on the end of that to try to heighten the drama.  "They really need to score some points at the next change over."  Or, "They now lead six to five, which is a one point lead."  Now, who does that help?  The audience member who can't do some pretty basic arithmetic in their head?  I play PB, so I know what a one point lead is in the middle of the game.  Sheesh.  Anyways, if they every make me king, there will be a lot of sports folks out of a job.

There was a video maybe a year ago where Ben Johns did some commentary.  He has some very inciteful comments and displayed a knowledge of what the game is about that I'd not heard before.  


4 comments:

  1. John L here. I'm currently rating myself as a beginning intermediate player. I don't know if that's a 2.5 or 3.0 or something else. What I do know is that rating system sucks as far as I'm concerned. Currently heard about DUPR 2 - 8 ratings. Seems like that would be immensely better but I know nothing. Anyway, none of that involves my first question which is: Do paddles have some sort of "sweet spot rating "? If not, how do you know which paddles have a bigger sweet spot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment. There are no official sweet spot statistics or measurements out there. Pickleball studio (YouTube), guy named Chris, does talk about the size of sweet spots and generates the center and outer areas graph when he reviews them. He also measures swing weight. I've mentioned in prior posts when talking about paddles, that I'm willing to spend money to get a bigger sweet spot. But if we think about what that is, we can modify the paddle to get more of what we want. The more the weight of the paddle is in the perimeter the more solid it will feel and the less twisting it will do when hit outside the SS. I've used lead tape on the last three paddles I've owned. I add it to the outsides and lower areas of the paddle. This should bring the sweet spot lower in the face and widen it. I find it makes a lot of difference. With the ability to tape a paddle and since I don't mind a heavy paddle, I evaluate a paddle based on spin production and an elongated shape. Basically, I can't change face friction, but I can control the SS on my own. Tape is cheap. You can find it any any golf shop. Hope this helps. See me on the court if you want to talk further. Rich

      Delete
    2. Would love to have a few discussions with you to reveal my utter ignorance. I think I'm gonna go ahead to buy the paddle I bought for my wife that I'm using and like. Then try weights. As a beginning intermediate, I don't even attempt spin although I still love it when my partner says something like "grest spin on that shot". Something for my next level drilling.

      Delete
    3. Spin will occur automatically with certain swings. It's very difficult to hit the ball without spinning it. Wrist angles and swing path will perform miracles. You will find me a the Downs most mornings, happy to talk PB! Rich

      Delete