Search This Blog for Stuff

Friday, February 2, 2024

Gamesmanship or What Would You do?

 An interesting thing happened when I was watching the better players in Cambria.

The server, Mr. S, objected to where the receiver's partner, RP was standing.  RP was standing at the kitchen line with a foot in the service return area.

The Mr. S suggested that this was way to hinder the server from trying to hit the corner by the center of the court.

RP suggested that there was an attempt at a Nasty Nelson!  

The exchange got a bit heated and the receivers walked off the court, quitting the game.

Hmm, well that didn't go well on a number of levels.  Since this was a social game, I would have just moved over the from the T if asked.  But in a tournament setting, I would reserve the right to stand where ever I wanted.  At that point I guess the Nasty Nelson issue comes up.  I would see the NN to be a valid tournament shot and the person at the net needs to be paying attention.

Any thoughts out there?


7 comments:

  1. I'm sort of one of those annoying "rules guys". Rules as in sure, in the Rec game, people are free to overlook, ignore the rules. When you're playing a lesser player you can ignore lots off stuff and certainly call some of their balls (as someone suggested) "Inish".
    But it bothers me when experienced players at a 3.0 and above are constantly foot faulting on serves, or never observing and calling their partners kitchen faults.

    This example seems like a "rules" thing. I believe rules are anyone except the server can position themselves wherever they'd like. So having a hissy fit is just another case of acting poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I usually do in those cases is mention it after the game. I see a lot of serves with the paddle parts above the wrist. If it's a minor thing, I usually won't say anything. Thanks for the comment. -Rich

      Delete
  2. If the RP partner wants to crowd the line and risk a NN and possibly losing a point that's on them. I for.one would attempt the NN, much like baseball pitcher that brushes off a batter that crowds home plate. If the NN is scored, the RP partner will not likely stand there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's valid, but I don't like to hit people. I do it too often accidentally! Rich

      Delete
    2. no one intentionally wants to hit, but isn’t RP “asking for it” OR to put it mildly “knowingly taking that risk”. The server should just get on with the game.

      Delete
    3. All of that is correct. But who ought to give way in a rec game? We are all there to enjoy the game and anything that causes partner or an opp a problem is not friendly play IMHO. So in a rec game I think server is right to speak up and RP ought to slide over a step or two -- they can move where they want as soon as the serve is hit. And speaking of "taking the risk," how do you feel about playing against people without safety glasses? Thanks for speaking up! Rich

      Delete
  3. I believe the receivers can stand wherever they want. I would give RP a "heads up" that he might be in the line of fire. I would then aim for an area on other side of the receiving court and if RP gets hit, so be it. But if he doesn't get hit, the ball will land in bounds and play would continue so I wouldn't intentionally be aiming for him.

    ReplyDelete